Formula 1 to stop using grid girls

Formula 1 will end the long-standing practice of using walk-on grid girls, commencing with the start of the 2018 FIA Formula 1 World Championship season. These changes also apply to our other motorsports series that take place during the Grands Prix weekends.
Formula 1 considers the time spent by teams and drivers on the grid before a race as one of celebration, where guests and various performers can add to the glamour and spectacle of the Grand Prix, enabling promoters and partners to showcase their countries and products. “Over the last year we have looked at a number of areas which we felt needed updating so as to be more in tune with our vision for this great sport," said Sean Bratches, Managing Director, Commercial Operations at Formula 1.
"While the practice of employing grid girls has been a staple of Formula 1 Grands Prix for decades, we feel this custom does not resonate with our brand values and clearly is at odds with modern day societal norms. We don’t believe the practice is appropriate or relevant to Formula 1 and its fans, old and new, across the world.”
The new F1 season begins on March 25 with the 2018 Formula 1 Rolex Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne.
Next Up
Related Articles
What the teams said – Friday in the Netherlands
Briatore says he's 'not happy' with Colapinto performance
Verstappen predicts struggle to make top 5 in Dutch GP Quali
Leclerc seeks 'miracle' after 'worst Friday of the season'
UnlockedWhy Verstappen isn’t writing off a home win just yet
Tsunoda reveals targets in bid for 2026 Red Bull seat