'He will shine' – Wolff backs Bottas' Cadillac move as Mercedes boss says they won't hinder Finn's preparations
With Valtteri Bottas moving to Cadillac next season, Mercedes boss Toto Wolff gave his opinion on the situation regarding his current third driver.

Mercedes Team Principal Toto Wolff has backed reserve driver Valtteri Bottas to "shine" in his new role with Cadillac next season, and insists he will not stand in the way of the Finn's preparations for the new project.
It was confirmed earlier this week that Bottas and Sergio Perez would return to the Formula 1 grid in 2026 with the new Cadillac venture.
While Perez has remained away from the paddock this season, Bottas has attended race weekends in his capacity as Mercedes' reserve driver.
The 36-year-old lost his Kick Sauber seat at the end of last season and rejoined the Silver Arrows, where he had previously spent five seasons and amassed 10 wins.
"Valtteri had the fortune and misfortune to go against Lewis Hamilton as a team mate at the peak of his game," said Wolff in Friday's Team Principals' press conference ahead of the Dutch Grand Prix.
"Valtteri has tremendous speed and is one of the best drivers on the grid. Valtteri left the Mercedes team because we promoted George Russell and since then, Valtteri has dominated every team mate he has had in whatever car.

"I'm really happy, we love Valtteri as a third driver and reserve. If one of our drivers were to have fish poisoning, we know [we can] put someone in the car that can be as fast and competitive. There would be no compromise putting Valtteri in the car on a given Saturday and Sunday.
"That obviously goes missing because he's going to Cadillac but at the same time, we're racers and we love for him to have the opportunity to go back on the grid in an exciting new project, and I'm sure he will shine."
Wolff confirmed that although Bottas will remain in his role with Mercedes until the end of the season, the team would not prevent their reserve driver from getting a head start with his new Cadillac responsibilities.
"I want to do the best from a racer's standpoint and best for Valtteri while not compromising the Mercedes status quo," added Wolff.
"Valtteri continues to be our reserve until the end of the season and he is giving it all, I have zero doubts that he is going to do it with the utmost integrity. At the same time, I have no problem that he starts his new job at Cadillac.
"It makes it easier that the regulations are totally different for next year, but I'm happy that it was no problem for us to release him for the announcement and events that Cadillac did and this will continue during the year."

Next Up
Related Articles
FIA post-Qualifying press conference – Netherlands
Gademan storms to maiden victory at Zandvoort
HighlightsThe best bits from Dutch GP Qualifying as Piastri takes pole
HighlightsNorris lays a marker in FP3 at the Dutch GP
Stroll explains ‘really frustrating’ Qualifying crash in Zandvoort
Verstappen praises Dutch GP Qualifying turnaround